It’s been out for a while now, and seems to be working well for everyone who’s tested it. The latest version of Catfish has been released, and its the greatest, fastest version yet. Read on!
Catfish 0.6.1 is the best and fastest version yet!
What’s New in the Catfish 0.6 Series?
Considering that I never “officially” announced the 0.6.0 release, there’s quite a bit to go on about here. Here’s some updates from the Changelog.
- Rewritten from the ground up, with an emphasis on speed and maintainability.
- Replaced the ‘find’ system command with Python’s own os.walk.
- The interface has been revamped, improving on the 0.4 series, bringing a styled sidebar and symbolic icons.
- Thumbnail support has been improved.
- Filenames can be dragged and dropped from the Catfish application.
- Files can now be deleted directly from the application interface.
- Operations can now be performed on multiple files at once (including the two new features mentioned above).
- Improved wildcard support.
- Simplified strings for easier translation.
- And finally, Python versions 2 or 3 can be used.
Screenshots are boring, and they don’t show off the power and speed of Catfish. So here’s the latest version in a great demo video.
PPA Available for Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, and 13.04
If you want to install the latest version in Ubuntu (or Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, etc.), simply add the Catfish-Stable PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:catfish-search/catfish-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install catfish
Catfish 0.6 features a complete rewrite, easier translations, and better-than-ever stability and performance. And if you speak another language besides English, it needs your help. Find out more!
What’s New in Catfish 0.6?
- Completely rewritten from the ground-up.
- Replace the UNIX ‘find’ command with Python’s os.walk. This makes everything faster and more responsive. The “Deep Search” button is now also gone.
- The sidebar now uses the theme style as well as symbolic icons (when available).
- The interface has also had a number of other tweaks, further refining it into a professional-grade application.
- File names can now be dragged from the search results into other applications.
- Files can now be deleted from the results window.
- To speed things up, these above items and other file actions can now also be performed on multiple files at once.
- Strings have been simplified and made clearer, making the application easier to translate into other languages.
- Last but not least, this is the first version of Catfish that can be run with either Python 2 or 3.
Catfish is faster, cleaner, leaner, and meaner.
With the newly-optimized interface and strings, there’s a need for new translations. There are more strings than ever before, and I think that the number of users is growing as well. As such, there is a growing need for more localizations than ever before. And, all of the old translations are no longer compatible...
So, if you or a friend are interested in contributing, improving, or suggesting translations to the next release, check out the Launchpad translations page! Creating and modifying translations is really as simple as can be with their handy interface. And hurry, because this next release will likely happen this weekend and will include all completed translations!
What About the Code?
If you’re more interested in looking at or testing the code, you can check it out here. If you find any bugs, be sure to report them at the Launchpad bugs page.
Thanks for your interest in Catfish! What do you think? Let me know in the comments!