I have been very busy during the last week, during the [http://live.gnome.org/action/edit/WebKitGtk/Hackfest2009 WebKitGTK+ Hackfest] in A Coruña kindly made possible by [http://www.igalia.com/ Igalia], [http://www.collabora.co.uk/ Collabora] and the [http://foundation.gnome.org/ GNOME Foundation]. The Igalia Office is a very nice place to be productive and relaxed. It was an exciting time and it was nice to be able to discuss and exchange ideas in-between lots of hacking.
I had the chance to see [http://blogs.gnome.org/xan/2009/12/21/webkitgtk-hackfest-day-g_maxint/ Xan], [http://blog.kov.eti.br/ Gustavo], [http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/ Benjamin] and [http://vanschouwen.info/nerdynotes/?p=398 Reinout] again while having the chance to meet Alejandro, [http://base-art.net/Articles/112/ Philippe], [http://mces.blogspot.com/2009/12/europe-here-i-come.html Behdad], [http://community.livejournal.com/evan_tech Evan] and [https://appcelerator.lighthouseapp.com/users/60086 Martin].
Special thanks to [http://blogs.igalia.com/xrcalvar/ Xabier] who picked me up from the airport and brought me back on the way home.
Now to the actual work on WebKitGTK+ that I’ve been doing.
- [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32359 Asynchronous downloading] with WebKitDownload. It was possible before but mostly coincidentally, and I updated a unit test to take it into account.
- [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25263 Proxy handling] is up to applications. After a discussion with Dan and others I filed [https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=605048]a bug in libsoup for supporting http_proxy by default].
- Finally [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24001 Cache control API] has landed, thanks to Alejandro. Being in the same room allowed for discussing some unclear aspects.
- I also worked on [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32163 custom file choosing] from applications. So that you can override WebKitGTK+’s file chooser and for instance use the same folder in all file choosers and customize it to your needs.
- I made [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30908 spell check actually usable] by fixing replacing the wrong word with the chosen suggestion.
- I worked on [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32770 making spell check work on un-selected text] the same way it works in for example AbiWord. WebCore expects a selection due to differences in behaviour on Macs.
- Small improvements to [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27546 context menus].
- A new [https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19456 function to execute commands], for example to format text, and to track formatting, in rich text areas.
- I deprecated the old loading signals and updated the unit tests to use load-status.
During this time I hardly found room for Midori. Fortunately [http://alex-butenko.livejournal.com/ Alex] filled in for me and worked on a number of performance tweaks and improvements to web cache and advertisement blocking.
Note [http://www.flickr.com/photos/mariosp/sets/72157622899055111/ Mario took pictures] in the office. If you look hard you can spot me there.