Monthly Archives: December 2009

Back from the WebKitGTK+ hackfest

I have been very busy during the last week, during the [ WebKitGTK+ Hackfest] in A Coruña kindly made possible by [ Igalia], [ Collabora] and the [ GNOME Foundation]. The Igalia Office is a very nice place to be productive and relaxed. It was an exciting time and it was nice to be able to discuss and exchange ideas in-between lots of hacking.
I had the chance to see [ Xan], [ Gustavo], [ Benjamin] and [ Reinout] again while having the chance to meet Alejandro, [ Philippe], [ Behdad], [ Evan] and [ Martin].
Special thanks to [ Xabier] who picked me up from the airport and brought me back on the way home.

Now to the actual work on WebKitGTK+ that I’ve been doing.
- [ Asynchronous downloading] with WebKitDownload. It was possible before but mostly coincidentally, and I updated a unit test to take it into account.
- [ Proxy handling] is up to applications. After a discussion with Dan and others I filed []a bug in libsoup for supporting http_proxy by default].
- Finally [ Cache control API] has landed, thanks to Alejandro. Being in the same room allowed for discussing some unclear aspects.
- [|Page groups] are a concept in WebKit to group views, or tabs, within an application. They are important to let us have visited link handling, support for user style sheets and scripts (those are supported by Midori already, but through a JavaScript workaround) and DOM storage handling. I didn’t have time to finish my patch, I will try to do that soon.
- I also worked on [ custom file choosing] from applications. So that you can override WebKitGTK+’s file chooser and for instance use the same folder in all file choosers and customize it to your needs.
- I made [ spell check actually usable] by fixing replacing the wrong word with the chosen suggestion.
- I worked on [ making spell check work on un-selected text] the same way it works in for example AbiWord. WebCore expects a selection due to differences in behaviour on Macs.
- Small improvements to [ context menus].
- A new [ function to execute commands], for example to format text, and to track formatting, in rich text areas.
- I deprecated the old loading signals and updated the unit tests to use load-status.

During this time I hardly found room for Midori. Fortunately [ Alex] filled in for me and worked on a number of performance tweaks and improvements to web cache and advertisement blocking.

Note [ Mario took pictures] in the office. If you look hard you can spot me there.


Bookmarks, bright paint and build fixes

Time for Midori 0.2.2.

Bookmarks can be imported from Opera, Arora, Kazehakase, Epiphany and other browser using XBEL. The XBEL support was improved in terms of performance and compatibility with other applications.

Colourful Tabs now work in combination with the Tab Panel. Delete Private data includes Web Cache which it didn’t before. And if you have a small screen or mobile device, Open panels in separate windows can be useful. Correct ordering of History and Trash were fixed. The Shortcuts dialogue display issues were fixed.

The options ‘Show in toolbar’ and ‘Open as web app’ were implemented for bookmarks. So you can selectively decide what bookmarks or folders to have in the bookmarkbar. And if you mark them as ‘web app’ bookmarks open in a separate process.

Several improvements related to portability and compatibility were applied, for Hildon and Win32. Build fixes for certain Glib and GTK+ versions were applied. libnotify is now a build-time dependency.

Incidentally Midori is available for the N900 in testing repositories, albeit it still needs some work, and Midori for Win32 may be updated soon once problems with extensions are sorted out.

So [ download midori v0.2.2] (590 kB) ([ MD5]) ([ ChangeLog]) already!
Win32 Binaries: [ midori Win32 v0.1.8] (7,3 MB)